F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you again to the guys that find this. Will be doing it tomorrow after work.

Edit: Okay the hole is there now and holy crap(pun intended), it looked like diarrhea of the IC!!! IT IS THAT BAD! Now I'm not sure if it's placebo or not, but I could swear that it doesn't rough idle as bad anymore. Almost can't feel it honestly. There's still more junk coming out though but I'll be hitting 90 mph or so tomorrow driving it to hopefully clean it all out.

Question: I know I can take off the intercooler, is there a solution I can use to clean it out and strap it back on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2014 TREMOR, with 15K miles, went limp today while accelerating onto the interstate at 3/4 throttle. The wrench light came on, but cleared after I stopped and restarted it at the Home Depot. No codes stored, but I'm thinking the CAC problem isn't quite resolved yet. Time to get out the drill?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to pass along some info in case anyone else is having electronic TB issues with their truck.

Symptoms of failure in my case:

About a week ago the truck began completely losing throttle control. While trying to accelerate onto the highway or traveling at Highway speeds up to 70mph truck would shut off with complete loss of throttle response, a blue wrench icon would appear and I would have to try and coast to the shoulder safely without causing an accident. At a complete stop the truck would continue to not have throttle control, to regain throttle control I would have to restart the truck. The truck would then drive for a short period of time and lose throttle again several miles down the road. This problem proved to be a very serious safety issue while trying to make turns across lanes of traffic not knowing if the truck would lose power and throttle control in the path of an oncoming vehicle. This issue proved to be equally dangerous while suddenly slowing from highway speeds in heavy traffic with no throttle control and complete loss of power.

The truck was delivered to the local dealership late last week.

The dealership determined the cause of failure to be the electronic throttle body, the electronic controller had failed inside the throttle body and the unit would need to be replaced. I was quoted $667 and told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. I then called ford customer satisfaction department and started a case with them. I was contacted this afternoon and was informed by the dealer that I would be partially covered and would need to pay an out of pocket expense of $250. Needing the truck back I agreed to pay the $250 out of pocket expense while continuing to make and attempt to regain my out of pocket a later date.

Truck: 2014 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Milage at time of incident: 48,800

Details of existing issues with other ford electronic throttle body failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...imp-home.shtml

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to pass along some info in case anyone else is having electronic TB issues with their truck.

About a week ago the truck began completely losing throttle control. While trying to accelerate onto the highway or traveling at Highway speeds up to 70mph truck would shut off with complete loss of throttle response, a blue wrench icon would appear and I would have to try and coast to the shoulder safely without causing an accident. At a complete stop the truck would continue to not have throttle control, to regain throttle control I would have to restart the truck. The truck would then drive for a short period of time and lose throttle again several miles down the road. This problem proved to be a very serious safety issue while trying to make turns across lanes of traffic not knowing if the truck would lose power and throttle control in the path of an oncoming vehicle. This issue proved to be equally dangerous while suddenly slowing from highway speeds in heavy traffic with no throttle control and complete loss of power.

The dealership determined the cause of failure to be the electronic throttle body, the electronic controller had failed inside the throttle body and the unit would need to be replaced. I was quoted $667 and told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. I then called ford customer satisfaction department and started a case with them. I was contacted this afternoon and was informed by the dealer that I would be partially covered and would need to pay an out of pocket expense of $250. Needing the truck back I agreed to pay the $250 out of pocket expense while continuing to make and attempt to regain my out of pocket a later date.

Thanks for sharing this.... I've had my 2014 ecoboost since Nov 2016 when i purchased it with 42k miles on it. I've had it go into limp mode 2 times now, both times during acceleration. I hope it's not the same issue you had and a weep hole will help prevent this from happening again in the future.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

One way to get recalls issued in the future is to report your safety concern here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?_ga=1.260414797.153069379.1492091616

·
Registered
67 Posts
No dtc codes / no goofy sounds (slapping or otherwise) at cold start. Guess is a trip to dealer after Christmas holidays are over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I haven't seen another wrench since temperatures warmed up. Truck is mpt tuned. 93prx, Driven daily. 22k miles - 12k on tune, no sign of condensate from weep hole. Guess the truck just don't like Arkansas' winter temps.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using forums like this for years for all different types of vehicles and actually never had to make a single post because if you search long enough it has all been covered, but this thread blows my mind. NOT EVERYTHING can be fixed with the damn weep hole. I have a 2013 FX4 with 126,000m on it. I have had the weep hole since 116,000 when I bought the truck. I recently changed the timing chains, phasers, actuators, all hoses and belts and the cold start rattle went away. Then this weekend I experienced exactly what this thread described. The Amber wrench flashing on my dash, loss of accelerator, coasted to a stop, rough idle, shut truck pff and restarted it, ran fine. It did this 3 times in 2 days. So its not the weep hole that fixes it! This whole thread got hijacked by these two arguing over the hole. I'm guessing it may be my throttle body by what I read before it turned into an argument between these two. Did anyone ever find and resolve besides the hole?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have been using forums like this for years for all different types of vehicles and actually never had to make a single post because if you search long enough it has all been covered, but this thread blows my mind. NOT EVERYTHING can be fixed with the damn weep hole. I have a 2013 FX4 with 126,000m on it. I have had the weep hole since 116,000 when I bought the truck. I recently changed the timing chains, phasers, actuators, all hoses and belts and the cold start rattle went away. Then this weekend I experienced exactly what this thread described. The Amber wrench flashing on my dash, loss of accelerator, coasted to a stop, rough idle, shut truck pff and restarted it, ran fine. It did this 3 times in 2 days. So its not the weep hole that fixes it! This whole thread got hijacked by these two arguing over the hole. I'm guessing it may be my throttle body by what I read before it turned into an argument between these two. Did anyone ever find and resolve besides the hole?
Too bad you're 1 year late to this party.

·
Registered
1 Posts
And 146,000 miles I got a wrench light all it was necessary to correct the problem was to unplug the plug from the throttlebody clean with contact cleaner and apply a generous amount of dielectric grease problem solved

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2015 F-150 FWD. Something is draining the battery overnight, I replaced the battery Saturday and this morning I tried to start the truck and it was dead again. what can I do? This all started about 6 months ago when I saw a light on my dashboard light up, it was the wrench light.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts