F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrench light came on soild, in the middle of no where ( code po299) I was towing a boat. After a few frantic phone calls started it up light went off &has run fine since,Anyone here have anything like this happen? Also after long runs pulling my boat, after refueling it will die when I restart have to powerbrake to keep it running

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
We have some DTC / PCode stickies to help researching these in the F150 Ecoboost Problems thread:
F150 Ecoboost Problems | F150 Ecoboost Forum

For P0299 I found this in the DTC Charts and Descriptions document found in that area:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

Reactions: stereotype one

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,062 Posts
P0299 is an underboost code. I have that memorized lol. Were you towing at high elevation at all?

What year truck and engine is this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live at 1176 ele. Was driving at 3215 ele. Truck is a 2016 150 with 2.7 ecoboost. I've driven approximately 500 miles since no problem. Thanks for any help. Also when towing boat and loaded with gear she sometimes dosen't want to idle after refueling, any ideas on that? thanks. Ken b.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,062 Posts
I live at 1176 ele. Was driving at 3215 ele. Truck is a 2016 150 with 2.7 ecoboost. I've driven approximately 500 miles since no problem. Thanks for any help. Also when towing boat and loaded with gear she sometimes dosen't want to idle after refueling, any ideas on that? thanks. Ken b.
Well, I had a few underboost codes, but I was tuned and running a lot more boost than stock. If you see the issue pop up again and more frequently I’d replace the wastegate solenoid.

Uh, after refueling? Do you “top off” the gas tank? If so, then stop doing that immediately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW: I just experienced pretty nearly the same thing as the OP

Mind you, I'm at 106k miles on my 2011 Lariat 3.5 EB and have NEVER before had a fault light or notice more serious than "Check Trailer Connections," so this blew my mind a bit.

For the benefit of future readers, here's what happened.
  • I was doing 40 down a nice suburban road, no stress on the vehicle at all. All indications perfectly normal.
  • Wrench Light came on, along with a larger notice on the display. Water Temp went down to zero and I was in Limp Mode for about 10 seconds...then the engine simply turned itself off.
  • I coasted to a safe location off the road, remembered this community's universal fix procedure (turn off engine wait 30 seconds, then start it up and see what you have), and naturally the Wrench Light DID NOT reappear.
  • But, the Transmission Temp gauge is now funky. Normally after a restart of a warm engine, the Tranny Temp gauge takes 2-4 seconds before starting to work.
*** NOW after startup, the temp gauge shows zero and stays there for 30-75 seconds -- and that is with a FULLY WARMED ENGINE.
* Additionally, gas mileage readout on the little screen in front of driver starts showing gaps. As in, I'm driving down the road at 35-45, and suddenly I have a 5 minute period that shows Zero MPG. No stops or nuttin'.

Now, I quickly verified that the Wrench Light indicates a powertrain ssue (enginebotbtranny) issue.

As I'm out doing errands for a couple of hours, I get an occasional boggy feel from the vehicle. No codes or indications, just a 3-12 second bogginess in the throttle response.
* Doesn't seem to correspond to the "zero MPG" readings.
** That could be either an engine or tranny problem, I'm thinking.

I've read on various threads that I need to get an OBDI (?) Meter and check for codes. I'll do that next and let ya'll know the results.

I am NOT a tech guy or gearhead -- so whatever the codes show, I'm thinking I should have the Dealer do a detailed checkout of the engine.

I'd be hesitant to take this on a long trip out here in the Intermountain West without figuring out this problem. Lots of lonely roads around here, dont want to break down on a remote highway.
** At least until I get it seen by the dealer.
** Would anyone disagree with that approach? If so, why?

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
FWIW: I just experienced pretty nearly the same thing as the OP

Mind you, I'm at 106k miles on my 2011 Lariat 3.5 EB and have NEVER before had a fault light or notice more serious than "Check Trailer Connections," so this blew my mind a bit.

For the benefit of future readers, here's what happened.
  • I was doing 40 down a nice suburban road, no stress on the vehicle at all. All indications perfectly normal.
  • Wrench Light came on, along with a larger notice on the display. Water Temp went down to zero and I was in Limp Mode for about 10 seconds...then the engine simply turned itself off.
  • I coasted to a safe location off the road, remembered this community's universal fix procedure (turn off engine wait 30 seconds, then start it up and see what you have), and naturally the Wrench Light DID NOT reappear.
  • But, the Transmission Temp gauge is now funky. Normally after a restart of a warm engine, the Tranny Temp gauge takes 2-4 seconds before starting to work.
*** NOW after startup, the temp gauge shows zero and stays there for 30-75 seconds -- and that is with a FULLY WARMED ENGINE.
* Additionally, gas mileage readout on the little screen in front of driver starts showing gaps. As in, I'm driving down the road at 35-45, and suddenly I have a 5 minute period that shows Zero MPG. No stops or nuttin'.

Now, I quickly verified that the Wrench Light indicates a powertrain ssue (enginebotbtranny) issue.

As I'm out doing errands for a couple of hours, I get an occasional boggy feel from the vehicle. No codes or indications, just a 3-12 second bogginess in the throttle response.
* Doesn't seem to correspond to the "zero MPG" readings.
** That could be either an engine or tranny problem, I'm thinking.

I've read on various threads that I need to get an OBDI (?) Meter and check for codes. I'll do that next and let ya'll know the results.

I am NOT a tech guy or gearhead -- so whatever the codes show, I'm thinking I should have the Dealer do a detailed checkout of the engine.

I'd be hesitant to take this on a long trip out here in the Intermountain West without figuring out this problem. Lots of lonely roads around here, dont want to break down on a remote highway.
** At least until I get it seen by the dealer.
** Would anyone disagree with that approach? If so, why?

Jim
How old is the battery ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How old is the battery ?
The battery is about 3-4 years old. I replaced the original just because it felt like time to do it.
I don't remember the numbers, but upgraded from the stock battery, better amps and cold cranking power.
I've had no other suggestion that I have a battery problem -- as far as I know.

Were you thinking of a particular fault scenario that might be taking place?

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
JUST AN UPDATE:

This is getting weird.

My 2011 F-150 Ecoboost had an upset event, yielding a Wrench light, as related earlier in this thread.
I've been driving the vehicle, with ZERO recurrences. The periodic minor bogginess has disappeared.

What HAS changed, though, is my MPG. I'm up noticeably and considerably. I haven't run a full tank through it yet, so I don't know the real numbers, but just off my bar gauge showing the rough level, I'm spending most of my drive time at or near the 30 MPH, and my MPG numbers have been going UP, whereas they normally shrink down in the bottom half of a tank.

Some of it may be warmer weather -- but I'm getting better MPG as soon as the engine starts, entirely skipping my normal low MPG until the engine warms up.

I'm scheduled for the dealer later this week, so maybe I'll have more to report.
  • If they don't find anything, I'll have to conclude the Tinkerbell the MPG Fairy has decided to take up residence in my engine.
  • I've got no better explanation, at this point.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
The battery is about 3-4 years old. I replaced the original just because it felt like time to do it.
I don't remember the numbers, but upgraded from the stock battery, better amps and cold cranking power.
I've had no other suggestion that I have a battery problem -- as far as I know.

Were you thinking of a particular fault scenario that might be taking place?

Jim
No just low or bad batteries seem to cause all manner of havoc and false alarms on these pickups.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, for the benefit of future readers with similar problems -- I posted previously about my F150 that had the Wrench Light come on and go into Limp Mode (actually, probably Dead Mode) for no apparent reason. It quickly clear with a key turn, but I'm still curious.

So, I got the vehicle into my dealer -- and they came up with a STORED Code F2138. Something to do with Throttle/Pedal Sensor D/E voltage correlation. Tech cleared the code, and did not recur.

So, essentially the dealership has no clue what happened. The code went away, so there's nothing to troubleshoot, and they say the vehicle is fine.

My improved gas MPG has gone back to more-normal, with the arrival of our first consistent hot weather and high humidity, meaning the air conditioning is needed. I'm still "up" over normal for this time of year...instead of running mid-15.5 mpg or so, I'm doing more like 16.9 mixed use. When I'm on highway doing 70, more like 17.2. In the city -- well, don't ask.
  • That's horrible for an F150 with a 3.5L ecoboost. BUT, I do have 4WD, a strong (and thus heavy) grille guard up front, and a VERY heavy raised SnugTop with extra insulation over the 6.5 bed (and thus more weight and less aerodynamic to boot.
  • Oh, and the max towing package. And bigger/wider tires. Not rock crawler stuff, but definitely bigger than the stock tires it came with.
  • This configuration works for me. Back when it was stock, I'd get high-19s on the highway, sometimes over 20 mpg, and that was pretty good.
Anyway, I'm plenty happy to get a little better gas mileage.

I just get real nervous not knowing what was the cause of the indicator and fault, which led to this "blessing" of higher MPG, but has now disappeared into the Metaverse or whatever.

Best to all, and may you never have a Wrench Light illuminate on you.

Jim,

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
Glad it's all good !
I'm not convinced the AC will cause less MPG's.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Its the gremlins. Don't feed then after midnight, and don't let them get wet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts