F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went to change the plugs this afternoon, and the rear passenger plug (thankfully I started there) coil screw just spins and won't back out!!!! Tried to put a screw driver between the coil plastic under the head and pry it up while loosing, won't work..... Tried pliers and turn it while pulling up, nothing..... So I am at a loss as to how to remove the coil? I might have to shear the screw head off, which I do not want to do.... I will stop and get a small vise grip and try to attach and twist loose while pulling upward in hopes it starts to lift out after spinning it.

After that, any ideas?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmmm.... You've tried a couple of my "go to" methods already... If you're willing to sacrifice the coil and have access (sorry, I've removed coils on my truck but can't picture one installed exactly right now), you might be able to cut the coil loose with a Dremel by making cuts up to the coil screw until you can break the coil away, leaving the "meat" of the screw exposed and giving you more metal to work with. A lot of times you can then use a needle nose pliers or vice grips to put some upward pressure on the screw as you attempt to loosen. Sometimes just having more of the screw's metal exposed and having the screw "depressurized" (aka. not holding down the coil) makes all of the difference. Good luck, and keep us posted! - David

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So I am at a loss as to how to remove the coil? I might have to shear the screw head off, which I do not want to do.... I will stop and get a small vise grip and try to attach and twist loose while pulling upward in hopes it starts to lift out after spinning it.

After that, any ideas?
I believe the nut for the bolt is press fit into the valve cover. It sounds like that nut is spinning inside the cover. You may be looking at replacing the cover once you get it off. If pulling up on the bolt with some type screwdriver/fastener remover doesn't work, I think you'll have to cut the bolt head off like you suggested already. Is it possible to get a thin screwdriver just under the coil where the nut is?

If you go whipping out the dremel on it, make sure you disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. I picked up a small set of of vise grips and will give it a try later this week. Attach tot he head and then twist and pull up, hopefully the screw backs out.... If this won't work I will have to break the dremel. (battery disconnected of course)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a method for getting the coil bolts out, 1/8 drill and a 1/8 spring pin, put drill next to the bolt head at the widest part of the coil then drill at an angle so as to drill into the bushing under the bolt, then tap in the spring pin and use a impact wrench when possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What? I've changed the plugs twice on my 13 and have not had that issue? Changed the plugs 3 times on my old 97 and never had that problem with the little coil bolts?

OMG... Could not imagine drilling into the coil to get the little 8mm bolt out??

Mitch

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I don't get it... the nut is in the valve cover? Why did you destroy the coils?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is the point I did not destroy the coil by drilling, instead I saved them because the previous owner tightened them to tight.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I found a method for getting the coil bolts out, 1/8 drill and a 1/8 spring pin, put drill next to the bolt head at the widest part of the coil then drill at an angle so as to drill into the bushing under the bolt, then tap in the spring pin and use a impact wrench when possible.
Is that not a giant crack all the way thru the weatherproofing on the coil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts