F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOm2ugJT3Y

This has been really bugging me, especially since the warranty just expired about 3k miles ago, go figure! This only happens on the first cold start of the day. I just switched to scamsoil 5w30 to see if it would help but none yet. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

I placed my phone on front drivers side tire for recording

·
Registered
250 Posts
sounds like an exhaust leak..

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wouldn't think an exhaust leak would only be audibly present for just a couple seconds after start then magically go away.

Sounds are difficult however.

I would guess the starter not disengaging, or being slow to disengage the flywheel. Maybe the starter solenoid acting up?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does not sound like an exhaust leak to me. I'd be more worried about slack in the timing chain. Kinda sounds like it is clacking off the front cover

·
Registered
265 Posts
Noises are difficult to diagnose without being by the vehicle. You could go buy a stethoscope or even the old school method of using a screw driver to the ear to help ya figure out where it's coming from

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your right, sounds are difficult. I saw a few videos of timing chain tensioner problems from older f150's and an EB. Sounds very similar, wonder what the costs would be, seems expensive already...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your right, sounds are difficult. I saw a few videos of timing chain tensioner problems from older f150's and an EB. Sounds very similar, wonder what the costs would be, seems expensive already...
Not cheap. Can almost promise that. If you want I can get you a price on it all from my dealer tmrw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man just looking at where it is is bad enough, I could only imagine the cost to get in there. Looks like it would require an engine pull. Yea if you happen to remember, It would be great to find out more or less how much it would run. Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey, was finally able to watch the video... Mine definitely does not sound like that. The way mine sounds is a very little chatter (like a first start after an oil change). The way yours sounds I came across a video on the f150forum, where it sounded almost like a diesel for about 2-3 seconds. The guy, who was under warranty, ended up getting a new engine due to bad bearings, etc. I REALLY hope that's not the case with yours.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What kind of oil filter did you put on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-Forourspam, I hope thats not the same case, however isn't powertrain good for 5/60k? Even then, we all know how Ford Warranty would handle this, if I didn't use motorcraft oil since day 1. Might be worth a call though.

-Brucesears, had to go find the old oil filter as I just changed to amsoil signature oil and amsoil 25k filter to see if it would help. The filter that was installed by a stop and change oil shop was federated lf641f. Yea Ive never heard of them. I also noticed the oil was pretty black when I changed it. Between this truck and my wives suv, I swear ill change my own oil for the rest of my life. Her air filter damn near had a tree growing in it, very filthy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-Forourspam, I hope thats not the same case, however isn't powertrain good for 5/60k? Even then, we all know how Ford Warranty would handle this, if I didn't use motorcraft oil since day 1. Might be worth a call though.

-Brucesears, had to go find the old oil filter as I just changed to amsoil oil and filter to see if it would help. The filter that was installed by a stop and change oil shop was federated lf641f. Yea Ive never heard of them. I also noticed the oil was pretty black when I changed it. Between this truck and my wives suv, I swear ill change my own oil for the rest of my life. Her air filter damn near had a tree growing in it, very filthy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you oil filter doesn't have the silicone anti-drainback valve in it like the motorcraft you will get that same startup noise with the 5.4 or the 5.0 as well. The lifters cause the noise because they don't have sufficient oil pressure on startup unless the anti-drainback valve is present. It keeps the oil from draining out of the upper valve train and causing damage. Cheaper oil filters don't have it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My old '97 with the V6 would raise all kinds of hell on start up if you put a cheap filter on it. Do nothing but replace it with a Motorcraft or other good filter, top it off and silence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checked with amsoil, and they stated that the EAO17 filter that I have does have a silicone anti drain back valve.

Tomorrow Ill grab a motorcraft filter and give that a shot though. If that fails, ill dig a little deeper. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hope it's not anything worse.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is all kinds of valve chatter. Not normal In anyway. But like others have said it's probably caused by lack of oil pressure to the top of the motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, I put the recommended motorcraft oil filter with motorcraft 5w-30 blend and....silence! I'm sure it was probably just the filter but anyways Ill stick to this from now on. I sure hope it didn't cause any internal damage in the meantime. Thanks everyone for the advice, seems like most of you were dead on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts