F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I'm about to move to Texas from Las Vegas and I'm going to be towing my 1998 Glastron SE 175. My last truck didn't have cruise control so I never had to worry about this, but now I have a 2013 FX4. Wondering everyone's thoughts on towing halfway across the country with cruise control on. I've read that most manufacturers do not recommend it but also that many users have done it without problems. I feel like short trips would cause no issues but because of the distance I wanted to ask the experts! I plan on taking I-40 most of the way and I expect some elevation changes as I get into the southern end of the Rockies so I plan on turning the cruise off through that section. Does anyone think that this will cause any problems???

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If I'm on the freeway, towing or not, the cruise gets used. I normally tow 5500lbs TT, set the cruise around 65mph, and lock out 6th gear (mine is 3.31 gears). Truck is really happy that way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Open road = cruise on = no problems.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If I'm on the freeway, towing or not, the cruise gets used. I normally tow 5500lbs TT, set the cruise around 65mph, and lock out 6th gear (mine is 3.31 gears). Truck is really happy that way.
As above.

Be smart. If its raining, shut it off, lots of hills or traffic, shut it off. But get open road, lock out 6 and take a nap... Oh yeah, not that... Lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
I always use cruise while towing... no need to building on the fatigue that you feel on a long drive..

·
Registered
823 Posts
all cruise all the time. cruise can also do substantially better than your foot for mpg's in these trucks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tow really heavy loads and use cruise all the time, no issues. I turn it off only when manipulating large mountain passes, or inclimate weather.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use cruise control most of the time when towing our TT with our 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 3.5 EB with 3.73 rear end and Max tow package. I do not lock out 6th gear. Exceptions to using CC are inclement weather, steep grades, heavy traffic and any other times I feel CC is inappropriate. Oh, and I normally use the Tow/Haul mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I agree, no reason not to use it on the long flat stretches.
Just remember when you hit the mountains that high RPMs aren't the ticket with the ecoboost. Let the twins sing their song.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the feedback, it looks like I'll be cruising on my way to Texas!!! I was under the impression that using the Tow/Haul mode locked out 6th gear...is that inaccurate? If so, how do you lock out 6th gear?

·
Registered
185 Posts
On my 2013 F150 Screw 4x4 with the 3.5 EB, Max tow, 3.73 rear I have the Select shift 6 speed transmission with Tow/Haul. Putting it in Tow/Haul does NOT lock out 6th gear. If I wanted to lock it out of 6th I would just push the button that prevents it from going into 6th. By pushing either the up or down button I can set the highest gear it will shift up to. I can also put the tranny in Manual mode and control all shifting with those same buttons, although I've only done this a couple of times to play with it. Normally, when towing I just put it into Tow/Haul mode and let the truck do its thing. Works great for me. With the 3.73 rear I have never felt the need to lock it out of 6th, even when towing out in the mountains out West. I'm towing around 6,500 lbs of TT. Tow/Haul is your friend in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice...I also have the 3.73 rear end so I'll just use the Tow/Haul and call it good! My trailer is no where near that heavy so If you never have a problem, I don't see any reason why I would!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Afternoon;
Having a 13' Eco HD, I put it in tow/haul as soon as we pull out of the driveway with the 5er. Put it on cruise control and just steer it. The only time it come off cruise control while traveling down the road is when we go up one of our little 7% hills out here in southwestern Colorado or when we need to take it out for whatever reason. That way I can control the speed & RPM's going up. Also most of the time while traveling those little mountain hiways I lock out 6th gear. That's done by pushing the bottom side of the lever on the side of the shifter. Each push locks out the next lowest gear. I also lock out 3-6th gear allot while descending those 7% grades.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts