F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im taking delivery on a new 2013 Tux Black Eco Monday. Its has the FX4 package and sony factory nav and subwoofer in the back. Ive had systems all my life up untill the past 2 cars ive had X3 and a bmw 535 (bmw is idrive is a nightmare IMO). SO i do want to keep the factory head because it think its a very nice complement to the inside. My question is are the speakers that bad and can just be replaced with decent 6x8's ? Ive got a 2 class d and a class ab amp collecting dust in my shop just asking to be put in this huge truck. Anyone upgraded to 6x9's or 6.5 kits? Ive always been a alpine/rockford/memphis fan. Id love to put a belle in this thing. But honestly the cuft for a box is going to be limited so i think it would be a waste. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to any of this, but my friend is a huge audio buff. He put the system in my f250 with like $500 (I think, def less than $1000).

That system blows the "premium" system in my ecoboost out of the water.

For what it's worth, this is the last time I will buy a fully loaded vehicle. I REALLY like this truck, but I know I would have more fun and end up with a better truck if I build it myself. The next truck will be a base fx4 that I will "finish" myself with aftermarket parts. (Interior, audio, tires, wheels, etc)

If you really like audio, I have a feeling you will be disappointed with the sony system.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you really like audio, I have a feeling you will be disappointed with the sony system.
that makes me feel better about not having it cause the base factory system is pretty sucky i feel like my speakers are messed up already and i dont even blast my music.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I've had custom systems in almost every truck I've owned, and I was extremely disappointed with the sony system in my truck. Especially after riding in my friends Dodge with the Alpine system. I ordered two pairs of Infinity Kappa 682.11cf 6x8" speakers to replace the sub-standard door speakers, and eventually i will be upgrading the sub woofer as well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't think there is enough room under the back seats without seat lifts to really make a great sounding box. You're going to be very tight just getting a sealed box for a 12. You could maybe drop down to 10s but I still think it could be tight based on the specs I've looked at for a set of kicker comp vrs and using fiberboard .5 thick.

I personally like the sound system in my xl but I'm coming off an 04 dodge that had a blown door speaker - so anything sounds good to me.

If you aren't afraid to lose rear passenger space, I've been suggesting to my cousin to build a box that gets needed air space under the seat and then places two tens facing the doors of the truck coming up and basically being a block for the rear seat middle leg spot. Basically you'll create a rear back console area where the middle passengers legs would be that houses the subs pointing outward and maybe the amp on top under plexiglass for looks.

The other problem I'm seeing is there isn't a good place to put the amps and get airflow in these trucks. One might fit under the seat but if it's the door speaker amp, it would suck to run the wires to/from. Seems like you'll always have to give up passenger space somewhere with 10s and def 12s.

For door speakers you'll just have to stick with your pref . I've always liked kicker over say infinity because they seem to be more bass focused where as the infinitys were always pushing treble even if you turned the bass up only.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You can always buy a generic box but it's been my system building experience that won't always work. Alpine type r for example are supposed to be pretty picky about getting their exact needed space

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
JL audio makes a nice vehicle specific shallow 12" box, but it's pricey.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought a box from a friend that he had in his 06 silverado and stuffed it with poly fill and two kicker V comp 10's and a monoblock amp with a remote gain up front and it fits perfect under the Screw rear seat and sounds amazing. The woofers fire down at the floor and fit completely under the seat...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I'll start replacing the door speakers then will amp them depending on how they sound. I may even put in mid bass speakers in the doors because they are barely audible. I saw were someone was using a JL clean sweep and some other one made by MTX to keep running there factory Hu. I wonder if I can use the factory sub wire for hi level inputs ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you want to add amps with no splicing and keep full function of everything try buying one if these...
PAC AOEM FRD24 it gives you two sets of Rca's and a amp turn on without cutting anything. Its all plug n play and at onlinestereo.com for $33

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you want to add amps with no splicing and keep full function of everything try buying one if these...
PAC AOEM FRD24 it gives you two sets of Rca's and a amp turn on without cutting anything. Its all plug n play and at onlinestereo.com for $33
that PAC is garbage.. There is a hiss you hear in the speakers and some feed back ..
using a audio control LCQ-1 is going to be better for one to intergrated aftermarket amps with the factory NAV. JL AUDIO does make a downfire sealed sub enclosure for under seat.
My buddie has a tw13.5 from JL with a down fire custom ported box under the seat using JL 750/1 and sounds like two 12"s.
this is set up I will be going with.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No hiss or noise in my system with the PAC ? Maybe the install was wrong on the one you heard?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No hiss or noise in my system with the PAC ? Maybe the install was wrong on the one you heard?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
WOWOW. Now im confused. Ive read some other threads in another f150 forum. I want to be able to use my sync and all fectured with the HU. Whats the best possible way to do this. I see people with rockford's 3 sixty 3 and audiocontrols and mtx's LOL I just need the most simple way to get a 4 channel or a 5 channel amp in my truck. PLug and PLay would be great. Ive installed systems in the past this sound very complex may have to let a shop do it.

Also im finding SHALLOW mounts subwoofers are the only ones i can place under my seats. Ive seen some dual 12 and dual 10 boxes online with little to under 1.0 cuft but the mounting depth is where the slim subwoofer comes into play. Does anyone here have any positive experience with these. Ive read the alpines are by far the better one on the market. But there expensive also.

I currently have a set of powerbase evo 12's, a elemental design nine.2 and a nine.4x and a alpine 9855. Doesnt look like I will be able to use any of this :-(

·
Registered
374 Posts
WOWOW. Now im confused. Ive read some other threads in another f150 forum. I want to be able to use my sync and all fectured with the HU. Whats the best possible way to do this. I see people with rockford's 3 sixty 3 and audiocontrols and mtx's LOL I just need the most simple way to get a 4 channel or a 5 channel amp in my truck. PLug and PLay would be great. Ive installed systems in the past this sound very complex may have to let a shop do it.

Also im finding SHALLOW mounts subwoofers are the only ones i can place under my seats. Ive seen some dual 12 and dual 10 boxes online with little to under 1.0 cuft but the mounting depth is where the slim subwoofer comes into play. Does anyone here have any positive experience with these. Ive read the alpines are by far the better one on the market. But there expensive also.

I currently have a set of powerbase evo 12's, a elemental design nine.2 and a nine.4x and a alpine 9855. Doesnt look like I will be able to use any of this :-(
With the PAC I can use sync and every feature if the HU. Also I have kicker V comp 10's in a sealed box that is polly fill stuffed and sounds great, it id a box for an 06 silverado

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got my kicker cv's today from amazon ( gotta love 2 day shipping ) plus the metra factory connectors. Should be a easy install. I went and listened to both the cv's and the ks and i liked the warmer sounding cv's. Ill snap some pics later to tonight

1 - 17 of 17 Posts