F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No replies since I posted this on my build thread, so I will re-post here, because I know a lot of members don't read build threads.....or maybe just not mine....:p. I'm asking specific questions, and I don't need all the marketing fluff filler....I can write that $#!t with my eyes closed all day long....so without any of the "brand X is the ONLY one to use", etc.....here is my previous post. Any useful information would be most appreciated!

NOW...so for those of you guys that know me, that might actually read this....you know how I feel about the term "best". I really wasn't buying into the whole catch can thing at first, but I am the first to admit that I can change my mind, and I have. SO.....the phrase I will use in lieu of "best" is.... MOST USER FRIENDLY....for any of you guys that are running a catch can, I would like to know what you have, and what your HONEST evaluation is.....

- Install - was everything you needed to do the job right in the box when you received it?
- Instructions - were the instructions clear and easy to follow?
- Mounting - are you happy with the location and the hardware?
- Maintenance - does it have a drain petcock, and is it easy to get to, to empty it?
- Downsides - anything you don't like? how often do you have to empty it?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
SSI catch can. It's the best. Very, very best. It will catch twice as much as any other catch can, even the RX catch can (can't even touch the SSI can). I've tested extensively.

-EcoFX

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SSI catch can. It's the best. Very, very best. It will catch twice as much as any other catch can, even the RX catch can (can't even touch the SSI can). I've tested extensively.

-EcoFX
blow_me.jpg

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Whatever, man. If you don't want the best you can hang back with the rest.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
?? What are you talking about?
uploadfromtaptalk1397837139493.jpg

rx catch can here

Sent From Louisiana East Texas

·
Registered
869 Posts
OK, now that I am back at my desk...

Install - I was missing one fitting and had to improvise the connection from the breather cap to the valve cover. The thought of drilling holes into the turbo inlet tubes is quite daunting and little hard to perform. There has to be a better way. Finally, I was missing the Good WWest-keeping seal of approval decal.

Instructions - to put it plainly, the instructions suck. As simple as the setup is, you would think a clear step-by-step pictorial would be provided. The one on the mfr website is bad.

Mounting - location and hardware are fine. I would like to see metal turbo inlet tube fittings.

Maintenance - mine is easy to get to and my pet cock works fine.

Downsides - I have only emptied once after a couple hundred miles and got about 2 ounces of gunk out. The price is a little steep but it is a niche market, so supply and demand comes into play.

Overall, I am glad I did the install and can only see good things happen because of it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm running the RX, I was missing numerous barbs, hose, etc. I upgraded to brass threaded barbs and what not, which for the price should be standard fare. I like where it mounts makes it super easy to empty. I also got the clean side and I'm not sure if its the top that mounted on the cap that is leaking or the cap itself but I've been getting oil running down the fill neck.
Honestly someone there needs to step up and make part bags for these and someone else needs to check them. It made me paranoid or something about parts missing, when i got my FR intercooler i had meth bungs added so when it showed up and my nozzle was too big i figured id have to run to the store and find nuts to plug them, nope everything i needed was there and an additonal clamp for idiots like me that lose stuff, lol.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever, man. If you don't want the best you can hang back with the rest.
Hahahahaha....OMG.....you actually said "best"......:rolleyes:

Reactions: n00g7

·
Registered
869 Posts
If the clean side is leaking please contact RX. We have updated the clean side and resolved the small leak issue.
So are all the caps defective or do I wait to see IF I get a leak?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lee and Straw....thanks. Great info!

So Boosted....where do you guys stand on having all the misc parts, hose, fittings, etc. shipping all together with these kits now? A lot of guys are reporting the same things about being incomplete as far as WITTDTJR the first time.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Also, were shipping with extra fittings in case anything is missed, but the human factor still comes into play and even though we have near daily meetings, and print pictures to show assy staff when they screw up, some still are making errors and thats not acceptable. We are hiring a new assy supervisor to be there full time double checking...he starts next week.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm running the RX, I was missing numerous barbs, hose, etc. I upgraded to brass threaded barbs and what not, which for the price should be standard fare.
I have to agree. For the price you have to pay, the fittings should all be nickel or brass like other cheaper catch cans are. At least the 90° elbow fittings coming off from the can should definitely be metal and not plastic. Does anyone know if I can buy metal fittings from a retail store locally??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts