F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it would be fun to hear everyone’s stories of how you fell in love with that first Ecoboost truck. Try to keep it in one post, and maybe stick a picture up of what you bought.

For me, I was wanting a truck really bad, drove a 2008 f150 with a 5.4L and a big lift, it was “cool” I thought, and I did want a v8. I was pretty unimpressed with the power of that truck. Felt like an absolute snail. Then the guy from the dealership texted me and told me to hurry over there cuz he had a “beautiful, clean” truck for me to look at. So I ran over there and it was a Red, 2012 F150 FX4 with the Ecoboost. I drove it and immediately fell in love. I all of a sudden forgot I wanted a v8, that torque was awesome. I had never felt anything quite like it.

Needless to say, I bought it for 19k I believe. Had 154k miles on it. Then, I ended up getting the 2016 truck I have now because the 2012s engine was roasted by the previous owner but that’s another story.

there she was. An FX4 trim, which I had never heard of before. Maybe some of you guys know more about it and what that means. My dash had an FX symbol on it. All I was able to do on it was a leveling kit and a cold air intake. Then it started having problems and had to get rid of it. It really was a nice truck.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
When I bought my 1st Ecoboost I was driving a '12 5.0 super crew. I really liked the comfort and especially the power of the 5.0 that is until I drove a '14 3.5 Ecoboost.
Of course it didn't sound nearly as good coming out the back end as the V8 did but the butt dyno said the Ecoboost is quicker. If I remember correctly I had the 3.5 for a 48 hour "test drive" and ended up buying it. The best surprise was the new truck was better on gas. This was my first turbocharged vehicle and the following was a '20 XLT then my current Lariat.

I have to admit I strayed for a few months to a Toyota and after driving the Ecoboost then going to Toyota's 3.5 I was back in another Ecoboost as quickly as I could find what I wanted. No disrespect to the Toyota crowd but this truck had no power. Liked the looks inside and out but even after putting the TRD rims and Michelins on it I'm a Ford man and wanted to be back in an F150. I don't see me driving anything but an Eco or Powerboost going forward....but who knows?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got my 2015 2.7 because of the color and the options. I would have preferred the 5.0 but they didn't have any on the lot in 2015 when I bought that truck. Only kept it for 2 years because of engine issues including excessive oil consumption but it was pretty quick. Went to a 5.0 for its replacement and then back to my current 2020 3.5 Ecoboost which has been absolutely flawless in 2 years and 30k miles of towing. Definitely glad I gave the Ecoboost a second chance after the issues I had on my 2015.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Late 2012. Was in my 2000 F150 4.6l supercab stepside Sport and almost was t- boned by suspected drink driver at an intersection. Decided it was time to get a new truck with better (existing) side impact airbags.
Went looking at local dealers and was impressed with the EB drivability and feel of power. I had supercharged and turbo Fords before and liked the relatively new Ecoboost from a technology and coolness point of view.
Bought a 2013 F150 EB XLT FX2 sport Supercrew 5 1/2’ bed black with black leather interior. So many bells and whistles I recall almost wrecking twice on the drive home!
I kept that truck a little more than a year, only trading it for a Mercedes E350 sedan when I went to CA with a job transfer. The F150 was too big to fit in parking garage at work, and was banished to the rear parking area of my apartment complex as it was deemed an “excessively larger vehicle” which would not fit in the parking spaces near my unit.
I should have move home to Texas right then and there. Came back quickly though in 2015!
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,737 Posts
2 parts.
1. The 2.7 Ecoboost. Have been familiar with turbocharging sinc 1970 and the purchase/ownership of a Corvair Turbo Spider. Cathy was up for a new vehicle and that was an 2017 Edge Sport 2.7 TT in a very well appointed vehicle. What an eye opener, broke it in with a road trip tour of the southern stated and Disney World 2016. Power, handling, comfort!
Plant Motor vehicle Natural landscape Car Tree
Car Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate

2. Trucks, owned a bunch, my favorites were Ford Rangers and I modified 3 for trails and off road, light weight and compact both 2wd and 4 wd worked very well in the northern hardwood/conifer forests.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Plant Vehicle
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car
LS diff rear air locker front, 3.0 5 speed manual transfer case and hubs 34.73 gears, Duff 3 inch twin front shock suspension, Gibson exhaust Basset DOT wheels and 31.5 MT Bajas, 15x8 inch wheels.

Time for a new truck and Ranger was dead, New Rangwer is as heavy and long as a XL RCSB. Next best was a F150, so I put together a light weight version of a FX2 with much better parts.
Recent road trip west, Black Hills SD.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Signature has it's mods /description, 1 concession to 70 year olds with short legs are the steps. KM

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,047 Posts
Dropped in to my go-to dealership to see if I could find a quick replacement for my 2012 F150 that my dad suddenly needed to use for a while.
I was an XLT 302A guy for most of my life except one KingRanch F350 back in 2004. (My wife strongly encouraged the splurge that one instance in order to get me to keep it longer. It worked too. Kept it 9 years)
Anyways, although I wasn't happy that they didn't have what I wanted in White, I test drove one equipped and priced perfectly, EXCEPT it had that teeny tiny 2.7 motor in it. My sales guy dared me to at least give it a test drive and pretend like I didn't know the size of the motor under the hood.

I bought that truck. And have had nothing but Ecoboost trucks since. They are amazing machines.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Plant Land vehicle

Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
218 Posts
T'was the summer of 2017. Hot August weather where the sweat would roll down into your eyes and sting. Hot pavement you could fry some eggs on. The old Mazda B4000 was becoming too old and small for a burgeoning family.

It was hard to bring the old whip who had been on so many adventures into the dealership and part ways.

Then it happened, the only truck on the lot in my color was a 2014 V8 with the Canadian oilfield rust peppering the frame. I test drove it. Five point slow was an understatement. I knew if I pulled the trigger on it, I was becoming my dear old Dad with one foot in the grave.

I came back and indicated my intention to take the old mazda keys and leave until they could find me something else.

Then the sales manager said with a sparkle in his eye, "why don't you try the 2013 ecoboost" and when you turn onto the freeway, floor it!

I grudgingly took the keys wary of the tales of intercooler problems and other such cautionary things.

The lyrics of the Rush song "Red Barchetta" ran through my mind as the machine propelled forward like a rocket, telling me there was more in store and I didn't have to embrace the inevitable cloak of near death just yet. Maybe there is a little more driving excitement to be had, I thought.

The deal was done, forever sealing my fate as the guy who passes everyone up trappers loop highway to the ski resort.

Praise be to the turbo, giver of life.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had a 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it.. Great truck, 255,000 miles and still towing my #5000 TT at the time "just fine", so I thought.. :)

Looked at a brand new 2011 F150 with the 5.0 in it.. But just couldn't pull the trigger on it...

Fast forward to early 2014... Get the "I want a new truck" bug BIG TIME... :)

Find out they have the "Max Tow" version with #7700 GVWR, blah, blah, blah.. But, I don't want the little V6 "turbo".. I want the V8! ha, ha...

Can't find one with a 5.0.. I guess they only came with the Eco.. I don't know for sure, but I found my current truck on the lot and for 10 grand under MSRP.. I look at it and go, Dang, it's got the 20" wheels on it and it's the V6 Ecoboost.. (not what I really 'wanted' at the time)

But, then I see it has #1900 payload on the yellow sticker (it was brand new too, with only 50 miles on it)... Okay, that checks a box... It was the XLT model, with the 302a option deal.. SuperCab (did not want or need the SuperCrew at all..) 4x4, a pretty cool color that I had really not thought of before, "Dumbo" tow mirrors, "max tow", 3.73 gears and it basically checked off all the boxes I was looking for..

Except for that dang "V6"...

Well, I drove it and was convinced after the first time I gave it some gas... Then I gave it the "beans".... OMG.... I didn't even ask to drive a "V8"... Just "I want this truck, but I have to tell my wife about it first". The sales guy says if you can come tomorrow with your wife, I'll hold it at the listed price and go from there...

Well, it was in the driveway about 6 hours later the next day.. (I had the wife meet me there for my lunch break from work. I was driving the 97.. She saw it, I took her for ride and basically said, "I'm getting this..". She agreed so I had to go home, strip the 97 F150 of what I could. (the stereo, I still had the OEM one, so that was easy, cleaned it out, took the flip top tonneau cover off and grab the title.)

Came home, swapped the tonneau cover (fit like a glove!) and have not looked back!

First tow with it with the #5000 TT and loved every truck payment after that! :)

The 13 F150 has been paid for, for some time now, and it's not going anywhere... I don't even want a 'new one'... I'll drive this until I can't anymore..

Mitch

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I bought mine in February of 2015. I was specifically looking for a Lariat, screw, 6.5' bed, 4x4 with the max tow package and the truck I ended up with was the only one I could find in a reasonable radius. This was after the 2015 aluminum trucks had come out and I was trying to work a deal on a leftover, so inventory was scarce. This was as close to new as I could find, probably a few weeks old:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

The 275/55R20's were so cute!

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Just thought it would be fun to hear everyone’s stories of how you fell in love with that first Ecoboost truck. Try to keep it in one post, and maybe stick a picture up of what you bought.

For me, I was wanting a truck really bad, drove a 2008 f150 with a 5.4L and a big lift, it was “cool” I thought, and I did want a v8. I was pretty unimpressed with the power of that truck. Felt like an absolute snail. Then the guy from the dealership texted me and told me to hurry over there cuz he had a “beautiful, clean” truck for me to look at. So I ran over there and it was a Red, 2012 F150 FX4 with the Ecoboost. I drove it and immediately fell in love. I all of a sudden forgot I wanted a v8, that torque was awesome. I had never felt anything quite like it.

Needless to say, I bought it for 19k I believe. Had 154k miles on it. Then, I ended up getting the 2016 truck I have now because the 2012s engine was roasted by the previous owner but that’s another story.

there she was. An FX4 trim, which I had never heard of before. Maybe some of you guys know more about it and what that means. My dash had an FX symbol on it. All I was able to do on it was a leveling kit and a cold air intake. Then it started having problems and had to get rid of it. It really was a nice truck.
View attachment 179688 View attachment 179689
FX4 was its own trim and it kinda fell in between a Lariat and XLT afaik. It was an appearance package combined with the offroad package. The interior and options could be equivalent to a 502A Lariat but it kept the normal 4x4 tcase(as opposed to the 4Auto case) that the XLT's came with.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FX4 was its own trim and it kinda fell in between a Lariat and XLT afaik. It was an appearance package combined with the offroad package. The interior and options could be equivalent to a 502A Lariat but it kept the normal 4x4 tcase(as opposed to the 4Auto case) that the XLT's came with.
Yeah, I only had it for 3 months so I didn’t get to enjoy it too much. It had all black leather seats, power fold mirrors, heated and cooled seats, it had Bluetooth phone connection, no screen though, and had a fancy FX letters and red tachometer accents. Had shifter in the console too and had shiftable gear manual mode, sport mode and tow haul. It was pretty decked out. Also, as seen in the picture, it had no chrome at all, and instead had painted bumpers etc.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Bought mine in January 2016 never having driven one befor emy initial test drive. Wife was done with the clattering Ram Diesel and my daughter was getting taller, not fitting into the half cab comfortably.
Took it to the 1/8 mile track about a month later and whooped up on some Rams and GM trucks (al of us still had our temporary plates on).

If I did it again I'd have to think about 5.0 with a supercharger but I have nothing bad to say about this truck except the newer ones are faster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was getting ready to retire and wanted a replacement for my 94 f150, had a built 5.8 in it everything worked just like it should but wanted a newer one to retire with, talked it over with my wife decided to look for one with under 30,000 miles on it. Looked for 6 months couldn't find what I wanted or they wanted more than I was willing to pay so I started looking at new ones, they were cheaper than the used ones, found a 2015 xlt supercab with a 2.7 in it wife and I went and drove it, no looking back loved the truck but as things go wife decided she wanted a travel trailer, so I now have a 2018 supercrew lariat with the 3.5 and the max tow package an I like it even more, hate the 5.5 foot box but my wife likes the bigger cab.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We had been doing family hunting trips for several years. My dad would tow the camper with his 09 SCSB (last of the flaresides) and I would follow in my old Cherokee. After setting up camp, we would use my Cherokee as a hunting rig.
For our last trip in 2015, two of my brothers flew up and tagged along, and the old Cherokee was feeling awfully cramped. My brother commented that the Jeep had served me well, but if we are going to be doing these trips, it may be time to get something roomier.

I started thinking about what a worthy replacement for the Cherokee that I'd had for 14 years would be. I was thinking about a V8 Grand Cherokee would be roomy enough and have the power to tow the camper. I liked the WJs, but they were getting pretty old at that point. Never cared for the bug-eyed headlights on the WK. WK2 looked interesting and checked all of the boxes on paper, but none of the 11-13s that I saw screamed "gotta have it!" and the 14-15s had an ugly gearshift (that would later be recalled). On a work trip between from March-June of 2016, I rented a Toyota 4Runner that I loved. Towing wasn't the best, but it drove great and had plenty of room. Problem was finding one of reasonable age for a reasonable price.

By spring of 2017, I had been working a lot and felt ready to jump back into making a car payment for the first time in nearly 10 years and started seriously looking around. I decided to expand my search to include F-150s also, since that's what I really wanted when I bought the Cherokee. After some shopping around, I found a very low milage 14 XLT screw 5.5 in blue jeans with the chrome package that had nearly everything I wanted. When I first saw it, it was a "gotta have it!" moment. During the test drive, it honestly didn't feel all that quick, until I looked down and realized I was going nearly 70 in a 45 zone. A trip on the freeway sealed it. The best part of buying it is that I bought it in Alabama and had a road trip to Alaska to get to know my new truck.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Mods since I bought it are winterization package, 4-wheel mud flaps, spray-in bed liner, rubber floor mats, tow mirrors, better tires, Bilstein shocks, Mishimoto CAC, 6-row transmission cooler, tailgate assist, LED taillight bulbs, skid plates and a Leer topper.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,737 Posts
Retired in 2013, and was looking for a toy. Previous truck toys centered on Ford Rangers. A 2WD with a bit of a lift on a mild pre-runner suspension, and a harder core 4WD with vari-rate suspension 3 inch lift, air locker front LS rear manual hub/transfer case/gearbox on 32 inch tires.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle

Performanceon road, long distance economy, trail driving made the purpose. A new build to order 2017 XL base with only EL 3.73 gears, a 2.7, cruise control. Intending to add suspension, performance bolt on's, sound system, interior.
As delivered.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

As it it today.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Cathy and I have put a min 7000 miles of road trips this year, and on my own several thousand in northern WI/MN and headed back to MN this Thursday! Pretty happy with my results and am enjoying the drive(s)! KM

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I had an f250 super duty. 7.3 6 speed manual, extended cab. She had 340,000 miles. My wife was pregnant and we decided that A) we needed a truck she could drive (automatic) B) the extended cab and a car seat were less than ideal, and C) maybe we wanted something with fewer miles.

I really liked the 2015 refresh on the f150 styling so I decided that's what I wanted. If I was gonna have to swallow my pride and "downgrade" to a half ton, I decided I was gonna get the most bad ass half ton available (3.5 Ecoboost) since I'd always been a 3/4 or 1 ton guy.

Well, we had a pretty strict and limited budget. This was to be the family car as well as my truck, so I wanted something nice with a few options (XLT 302a). I was having trouble getting a 3.5 with payments where we needed, so I had to swallow even more pride and settle for the 2.7. That's what the dealership had on the lot with the options I wanted, the really nice appearance package in all black, at a payment I liked.

I stewed on it for a day and decided to go for it. I've actually been very pleased with my 2.7 choice, and now after a few years don't regret it at all. My only real complaint is the lowish payload (1524) but I've always made it work. I have an add a leaf which seems to help.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
First experience with an EB truck was back in 2013 when a coworker bought a 2012 XLT chrome package truck. I was in a ko4 swapped APR tuned GLI jetta, and we lined up for a race after he spoke of how quickly it accelerated. He boost launched in 4H so he took an early lead. I reeled him in once I caught traction but was seriously impressed by how his bone stock crew cab performed.

Fast forward a couple years and I wound up buying a 2012 SHO and the love for the EB platform took hold. Ran a couple different tunes from a couple different tuners both 93 and e30 and loved it.

After the PTU in the Taurus decided it had enough abuse it started letting me know. I grabbed a replacement out of a local salvage yard, slapped her on and decided to trade her in before I blew out that one.

Took it to my local dealership, and they had a used '18 XLT Special Edition 5.0 that was already leveled and on 33" KO2's that I test drove first just because coyotes sound so great, and the used sport package FX4 3.5EB. I drove it right after the SE 5.0 and it wasn't even a decision I needed to think about. Drove off in my new magnetic beauty and haven't regretted it at all from a driver's perspective. Those coyotes do sound pretty sweet though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts