F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1265 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
started it up this morning at 65F out and heard it again (a couple days in between without hearing it on any start). Going to make spot to take it in unfortunately. I gotta wonder if it's an oil pressure problem rather than the spring or chain stretching if guys have it coming back so soon.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well it looks like I am in the same boat as you dnellans. I haven't cold started my truck in about 4 months because I commute so far the wife drives my truck and I drive her car but since she is off for the holidays I decided to take the truck this morning. I remote started it walking out the door and it sounded exactly like the video posted by fordguy. I have already gone through the whole deal with the CAC and now this...good thing I bought the extended warranty. :mad: 2011 with 67xxx run with full synthetic since I bought it with 17xxx changed every 5000.
Welcome to the forum, matt60. As a next step, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can diagnose. Come back and tell us what you find out; I'll be able to assist once the dealer has looked things over.

Crystal

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
started it up this morning at 65F out and heard it again (a couple days in between without hearing it on any start). Going to make spot to take it in unfortunately. I gotta wonder if it's an oil pressure problem rather than the spring or chain stretching if guys have it coming back so soon.
Its not a spring or necessarily a stretch thing, the TSB is for Phasers and the timing chain. But I too believe it's an issue with oil not getting to the top end quick enough or the oil draining back to the sump from the top end. Since the oil filter sits horizontal rather than vertical this is my belief.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Its not a spring or necessarily a stretch thing, the TSB is for Phasers and the timing chain. But I too believe it's an issue with oil not getting to the top end quick enough or the oil draining back to the sump from the top end. Since the oil filter sits horizontal rather than vertical this is my belief.
Phaser design was cited by ford as the culprit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've recently heard the chain rattle every several days, though only for maybe a second. I'm experiencing other issues at the moment. I've read several pages back in this thread but have not come across what this issue does to your truck other than sound horrible on start up. What would be the long term problem if not fixed, etc.?

My other problem at the moment is from miss fires and now truck idles rough and slightly shudders at high speeds. I should add that I experienced the CAC and spark plug issue at 66K miles. That was addressed and fixed. The miss fires happened again around 117K and plugs were replaced again, but truck is not the same as it was after the first round. I recall the cats being replaced that time, but not this time. Sorry to get off subject!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you replaced the plugs and still getting misfires time to start looking at the coils them selves.

As for the Noise, it could possibly lead to total timing chain failure due to the added stress on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked my truck up from Veterans Ford in Tampa, after having the startup rattle and timing chain stretch to the point of it being 6 degrees out and truck in limp mode, I was very clear on what was wrong, printed out the tsb 15-1031 and gave copy to service writer, mechanic and left a copy on seat, 4 days later they had truck done.......

they did not do the tsb 15-1031, they did an old one, that does not replace cam phasers, First day of cold start rattle is louder than ever..... WTF

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can't believe ford still cannot figure out the problem with their cam phazers. They had a major problem on a lot of the 5.4 engines and 10 plus years later still? Really?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well happy fugin holiday's to me! My phaser rattle is coming back, and I think a rod bearing is possible going. Hear a rapping noise when applying throttle from an idle when engine is warmed. I've got to say even if the dealer looks after this [no warranty left] this will be it for me- I am done with Ford and the Ecoboost!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I waited almost 3 weeks for parts, but they told me no issues driving it in the mean time so you should have your truck until those parts come in. It isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am at the point now where Im getting close to setting up an appointment at the dealership and just wanted to see if anyone has some advise on what I should say or bring to help the situation. I have been recording cold morning start ups and have 5 or 6 good videos where you can hear the rattle very clear but from what I have read the dealership needs to have the truck to try and recreate the noise.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Be ready to leave the truck for a week. Tell them not to touch it for a day or two that includes not moving it around etc. So it has time to cold soak. Tell them to keep it until they hear it because you have your proof that it does it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Took the truck in last week and they were able to confirm the noise the next day and said they will be replacing the phasers and the chain but the parts are on back order and should be 6-8 weeks. I was also surprised when the service guy started telling me there was another TSB update for the CAC but it would be $80 so I asked him what the fix was and he told me basically they would be adding another shield to the top and update to the latest tune. I declined but thinking about it now I may have them do it because they want $119 just to update the PCM or I can have them do the TSB and just rip the shield off when I get home and save 30 buck lol. :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Veterans Ford in tampa, has had my truck now for 5 days (first time 4 days) to get this repaired, this is suppose to be an 9 hour job, my confidence is not so good on there ability!!!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Why not just do the weep hole? Save your money and give yourself 99% confidence that the moisture issue would be gone.
False. Sgut up please.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Took the truck in last week and they were able to confirm the noise the next day and said they will be replacing the phasers and the chain but the parts are on back order and should be 6-8 weeks...
Let's see if your regional customer service manager can assist with getting those parts a little faster, matt60. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get this into their hands.

Veterans Ford in tampa, has had my truck now for 5 days (first time 4 days) to get this repaired, this is suppose to be an 9 hour job, my confidence is not so good on there ability!!!
Hi PirateCustoms,

Have you reached out to your CSM so they can assist? If you're having difficulty getting in touch, send a PM my way; I'll be happy to help.

Crystal

·
Registered
37 Posts
so the dealer has had my truck now for 8 days....... still waiting on a 8-9 hour repair....

Yes FordService i have and they say its in the dealers hands......

41 - 60 of 1265 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
208 Participants
Sirikenewtron
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing